Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Snail Mail Is Still Alive



Obviously, snail mail is still part of our every day lives. Legal papers, business communications, and bills are still getting received through the post office. Old school it may sound, but it works, and it works well for a lot of people and businesses.

There are a few (maybe more than a few) of people who still use snail-mailing as a form of friendship. Penfriendship. In fact, there are different groups that are established for that matter. Penpaling is alive and that means the use of cursive. It may not be used by everybody, but handwritten letters are considered a form of art. It's a talent!


I'm in several penpaling groups on Facebook, and I even manage two of them. The first one is called the Letter Writers Alliance Society (LWAS). It is a gathering of all lifetime members of the Letter Writers Alliance (LWA). LWA has stopped their lifetime membership to new applicants. The existing 15k members are the ones invited to join the Facebook LWAS group. The only requirement to join the group is a photo of the member ID card showing their member ID number, or digital receipt for paying the lifetime membership. There are currently over 130 members actively penpaling right now. We want more LWA members to join.

The second Facebook group I manage is called Snail Mail: All wRite Together (SMART). It is for domestic and international snail mailers without any other membership requirements needed. We only request that your Facebook profile bears your actual photo. We don't want scammers or con-artists joining in.


Why snail mail? It's digital detox. Honestly, I often get tired of the online news and social media. It's great to slow down, think, and write everything on paper or in a notebook. Writing mistakes is a good thing. We erase it or scratch it off, and write again. Slowing down makes us notice a whole lot of other things. I guess, it's ironic that I'm blogging about this, but it is how we share it to a lot of people.


Since I love stickers so much, it's also an excuse for me to use them all and buy more. HAHA! I'm so bad, but it's so good. I get to decorate the envelopes I send out, or even the stationery pads can be fancy, too. I discovered that there's this writing club near where I live. I plan to join them this month! It's great to meet others who enjoy the same things I do.


Even my cat loves mail! So, who are you writing today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thanks for reading and commenting. I will try my best to reply as soon as possible. - Sonnia